Friday, February 5, 2016

Chapter 16 - Another audition to warm up for. This time correctly.

Had another short audition, and this one needed a lot more energy, because of the attitude needed. It called for an cable television announcer sort of feel from maybe the late 90s.

But it also was necessary for remember to properly warm up and stay on target mentally.

I've said this before, but I am easily driven to distraction, which in turn can knock my calmness game off. Case in point, if I am excitable or stressed out, I speak faster and more incoherently. Like anyone, I have that triggered from nerves, anticipation, the unknown, etc.

It's gotten to the point that the best I can do is stay as mentally on point by not only practicing my scripts, but also having fun in a warm up sense.

Thankfully, most all of my auditions have never been any earlier in the day than maybe 11 AM or so. And on days right before and on the day in question, I don't drink any sodas, or hot teas, or real cold water.

Room temp water has seemed to be the best secret weapon I can use for trying to give myself the hydration I need as well as it not being ice water, which in prior sessions made my range suffer some, and not drinking hot tea has helped keep decent elasticity to my throat. Without fail everytime I'd drink tea, I had problems with diction.

On the way to work, really daily, I sing in the truck. Every chance I can. Not because I think I can hold a candle to Bruce Dickinson (where are my Iron Maiden fans at!?), but because I want to have my vocal exercises be random and fun.

And it works for the most part, but I'm finding tongue twisters (and a book that a good friend of mind alerted me to) to be the real workout I need to be fully prepared.

Stuff like these classics work:

  1. Unique New York, Unique New York, Unique New York.... (repeat and speed up as necessary)
  2. A big black bug bit a big black bear
  3. She sells sea shells by the sea shore
  4. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
  5. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? 
And if you Google exercises, there are a LOT of tips and tricks out there from working the muscles in your tongue, to keeping weight down, to diets, and so on.

To be honest laziness was the (terrible) reason I started to slip on this sort of thing, but if I want to be able to nail auditions, if I want to be able to bring the best performances possible for not only clients and my own projects (which if listened to, CAN lead to more work).

Until next time! - Mario, the Artisan Rogue

No comments:

Post a Comment